
Blake's absolute favorite thing that we did while in Georgia was visit the Okefenokee Swamp. I was really excited to take the kids there since I have fond memories from my childhood going there for school field trips and I was very happy they liked it so much. I think Blake asked once a day after going when we were going back and he has even asked a few times since we have been home. Okefenokee is a Creek and Seminole word for land of trembling earth which is how the land through this swamp looks, like it is trembling. It is actually not solid ground and that is way it moves. It is 700 square miles large and the largest intact and unfragmented wetland wilderness swamp in North America. It is a little creepy that there is nothing in between you and these alligators. They lay out on the grass where you are walking and the swim beside you in the boats. I do believe that this is quite possibly the hottest I have ever been in my life but I do think it was well worth it!

Taking our boat tour. We were lucky and saw an alligator sunning on the bank and a few swimming in the water.

Not only do they have alligators but they also have black bears in the swamp, that is why there is a bear with the alligator on the poster The two you can view are in a fence so I didn't get any good pictures.

After our boat ride we went to see Okefenokee Joe. He has different types of snakes and small alligators you can touch. Blake thought it was fantastic that he had an alligator on his head.

Grace and her alligator.

Lucy decided she needed to touch the alligator too but not only the tail she went for the head. I was taking this picture so I missed it but Cameron said she almost got some fingers taken off. Oh well who needs all five fingers!

Blake petting a snake.

This is Crazy. He is one of the few alligators that is in a cage because he scared the workers and they thought it best to lock him up. For days after Blake would tell me that he was Crazy the alligator, boy does that kid have an imagination!
1 comment:
Hey I remember Okefenokee Joe!! He'd always come to our schools and show off some snakes and stuff. To this day I remember his song: Okefenokee GA, population 3, Swampy the dog, Skeeter the cat, and me. :) Looks like you had fun!
Post a Comment